Depending on exactly who was running and where they were running determined the quality of the rum. The fare warning came down to the quality of the exact spelling though in the times of prohibition one can truly doubt that spelling was a problem as long as the liquor came through.
Rum as many of us would refer to it is a distinguishing name in French-speaking locales that indicates it is made from molasses versus Rhum which would be made with fresh sugarcane juices.
The best part for us is that it is here and it comes in many forms, qualities and characters.
Tid Bit of Rum Trivia:
- The Most Feared and Famous Bootlegger of all timer was none other than Al Capone.
- The Most expensive and oldest bottle of Rum was found in the cellar of Lord Harewood’s estate in Leeds, it was auctioned at Christie’s and went for 135,000 British Pounds in 2014.
- The first distillery in the States was set up on Staten Island in 1664.
- Maine became the First Dry State in 1851 when it banned Rum.
- One of the most famous Rum drinks known is a rum sour. It was created and served in a conch shell.
- Rum or Rhum is only a way for French-speak locales to determine whether it is made with sugarcane or molasses.
To make a Quick Irish Crème
1 1/4 c. Irish whiskey, rum
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 c. Regular whipping cream
2 tbsp. chocolate syrup
2 tsp. instant coffee (not decaf)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
In a blender, combine all ingredients. Pour into decorative bottles for gifts. Makes 5 cups. Keeps for 1-month in the refrigerator. Shake well before serving.
St. Patrick’s Day Rum Runner
2 oz. white rum
1 oz. green creme de menthe
1 oz. lime juice
Serve in a 12-ounce Whiskey Glass decorated with green straws, green cherry and green stick candy with a healthy serving of whip cream decorating the top.
There is always a way to celebrate an eternity with rum. Each season, holiday or occasion deserves a good Rum and an even better way to serve or try it. Share yours with Quality Liquor Store Today.